Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Makita Sawsall

Posted by shelbyscott (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 4:38

my Sawzall (Makita) only works when it wants to? can anybody point me in the right direction? i am pretty handy at fixing stuff. My first thought are the brushes but they are OK what else would make it work sometimes but not all of the times.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Makita Sawsall

Having had a number of Makita reciprocating saws I can think of two problems that will cause the symptoms you describe.

1. A defective trigger switch.
Solution, change the switch.

2. Dirty on the armature.
Disassemble the motor and clean the contact surface where the bushes contact the armature. Begin by spraying the armature contact surfaces with "Contact cleaner" and if that doesn't clean it sufficiently you can rub the surfaces with an "Ink Eraser" to burnish the surface without causing excessive scratches or pits.

o
RE: Makita Sawsall

I have had problems with several of my Porter-Cable tools where the wire frays where it comes out of the tool. Part of the problem is that their cases require you to put a good bend in the wire to get it to fit in the case. I finally put insulated spade connectors on my router so that I could cut another foot off the cord and not have to worry about the wires on the motor side.

I've also had problems listed above and dust in the switch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here