Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't find an answer!

Posted by sweetrain (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 1:04

Does anyone know how long styrofoam insulation on the exterior of a home and withstand the elements? Do you have to side your home immediately or can you wait a year or two?

I'm asking this as a neighbor has built a house but hasn't sided it yet. It's been about 9 years and I'm really curious to know if he's getting any R value anymore or not.

Besides that,, it's a real eyesore on our street. lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't find an answer!

Back your spam self on out of these forums,sleeves. It's against garden web policy.

Sweetrain, Most materials exposed to the elements have problems due to breakdowns from u.v. rays, temperature changes, heavy rains, icings, etc. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer and get their take on it, though I also believe geographical location has a lot to do with how materials hold up. Some will do better in areas where it might not do as well somewhere else. We put a "newer" type underlayment on our build on the roof as we had to leave it for the winter and it wasn't ready for the roofing. It was claimed to hang in there for 6 months but failed miserably, leaving us a wet house when we returned in the spring. Looking back I simply would have used good old fashioned 30# felt, removed that,(due to wrinkling), when the time came to put on the roof with new underlayment. It's something to consider for you to simply use felt (with cap nails), for now and when it comes time to side, install the foam panels then.

o
can you wait a year or two?

"can you wait a year or two? " Sorry, I didn't catch that part of your post. A year or two is a long time to sit without being fully dried in. If it's financial, I would wait until you have the funds to do it right the first time out not relying on how long underlayments might hold up.

o

Deterioration from exposure to UV light starts immediately but doesn't get to be a problem for a few months.

Here is a link that might be useful: Owens Corning discussion

o

I'm curious. Is there anyone living in this house? I be surprised if you could get an occupancy permit with no siding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here