Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glass Storm Door breaks

Posted by vedazu (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 0:29

I came into the house today from the back door; walked to the front door, opened it, and, in front of my eyes, the glass storm door ( a good Anderson) broke into a million (safe) pieces, with the bulk of the glass falling into the house. My question is, if no one was home all day, except the lawn guys to cut my lawn, is it possible that the mower threw up a stone that cracked the glass, or is it something else? How does this happen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glass Storm Door breaks

Tempered glass will not crack. It shatters into a million pieces. It broke when saw not anytime before.

o

How does the door operate in the opening. If you have to force it open causing it to flex, that's another possibility. Another avenue is extreme temperature changes from very cold to hot in a short time. This would be heightened if it is in direct sunlight where the space between the storm door and entry door heats up radically, quickly. The stone is definetely another possibility and would be my first guess as well. I've seen an auto side window with a chip shatter when the door was closed so your stone thought could very well be the case.

o

the front glass door on my parents home shattered in much the same way once. the door had settled out of square and you had to sort of pick up on it to open/close it. no one ever used that door, and it had gotten worse. when we went to open it one day to bring in furniture, it just shattered! turns out the door was torqued and when we opened the front door the glass door sucked in a little and the torqe put enough twist on it to shatter.

o

The inside pane of a sliding glass door shattered in our previous home, no one was home to see or hear it. I swapped the door out for a large window, saved the glass and built a garden shed with three large panes on the front roof. Looks really sharp and there was nothing wrong with the other three panes. No chips or holes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here