Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Which brand/type of caulk to seal interior trim?

caroline94535
13 years ago

We're finishing the inside of my closet. DH has trimmed the inside of the doorway, but there are small gaps between the trim and the drywal walls. It's an old house with "interesting" angles, few of them are square or plum.

What is the best type and brand of caulk to run around the edges of the trim, crown, and baseboards to fill the gaps between the trim and walls? Once these gaps are filled I'll be painting the walls and the trim.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Comments (12)

• energy_rater_la
    13 years ago

I use Alex brand with either 35 or 50 year life.
    usually clear...goes in white but dries clear.
    but you can also use white.
    water based easy clean up.
    best of luck,

• handymac
    13 years ago

Alex is good, just make sure the tube says it is paintable.

• macv
    13 years ago

DAP makes ALEX in several different formulas:

ALEX PAINTER'S CAULK - (white only) acrylic latex - 25 yr.

ALEX FAST DRY - (white only) 40 min. drying - 35 yr.

ALEX PLUS - (clear & colors) acrylic latex with silicone - 35 yr.

The most flexible and durable caulk/sealant from DAP is DYNAFLEX 230 but it is known to have a problem with mildew so don't use it in wet or damp areas. DAP's answer to that problem appears to be ULTRA 230 PREMIUM with Microban. Both have a 50 yr. satisfaction guarantee and cost considerably more.

I would avoid the clear DAP caulks that turn white because they have a reputation for shrinking excessively and require more time before painting.

• weed_cutter
    13 years ago

What Macv said about the clear.
    It could be just my imagination but the clear seems to be more flexible than the white so I like to use it outside.

• mainegrower
    13 years ago

Best caulk I've ever used for both interior and exterior applications is Lexel. It's more expensive and is solvent based, so needs paint thinner rather than water for clean up, but lasts far better than other types.

The "warranty" offered by caulk manufacturers is pretty meaningless. If a 50 year caulk fails in a month, they'll refund the cost of one tube of caulk. Big deal.

• guiq
    13 years ago

Use acrylic/latex based. DO NOT USE SILICONE as paint will not adhere and you will regret it.

The deeper cracks may need to be done over twice.

Nip the tip at an angle, smaller than then fill, and wipe with a damp rag to clean. Its handy to have a small rinse bucket by.

• jonnyp
    13 years ago

Contrary to the previous poster , you can use silicon. GE now makes it paintable. I have used all the others but found the silicone to perform the best. To store it , stick 16 galvinized finish nail in it, make sure cap is on tight and stand it up. Silicone clean up , acetone (finger nail polish remover)also works on spray foam.

• Warren
    3 years ago

I second the GE Silicone paintable caulk for interior trim carpentry . Alex Plus will eventually crack, the GE paintable silicone is permanently flexible. Its not hard to work with like traditional silicone caulk for bath and the like. Its got some magic properties. Still easily tooled with a wet finger. Honestly, no different clean up than traditional acrylic caulk. Never going back to DAP or Alex Plus.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 years ago

This post is 10 years old, but when it comes to calking, so far PowerHouse by Sherwin-Williams outperforms most. They give you 60 years on it and it allows +/- 12.5% joint movement without cracking or separating.

• Warren
    3 years ago

Ill check it out! Thanks!

• 1maps
    3 years ago

I have a tube of Kwik Seal Kitchen & Bath Adhesive Caulk ("waterproof seal") that is probably a couple years old. Could it possibly still be usable, or should I just buy a new tube of caulk for recaulking between the tile backsplash and the granite near my kitchen sink?