Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Garage Opener makes a clicking noise but wont engage

Posted by mndallas (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 22:57

I have a problem with my 1/2 horse Craftsman Garage Door Opener that I cannot figure out. My light was out, so I went to change the light bulb but noticed that it wasnt fully turned. I did that, but the light still wouldnt come on. I replaced the bulb and then clicked the opener to turn the light on, but instead IT SPARKED emitted a terrible black smoke and completely fried the light socked and end cap. (DONT WASTE YOUR TIME BY CALLING SEARS OR CRAFTSMAN TECHNICAL SUPPORT). I got all that taken care of with the breaker etc, and took off the end cap and what remained of the light socket. The Door opener doesnt seem to have any effects other then it wont engage. When I click on the opener, it just clicks - goes off - and clicks again. I am not sure if it is my capacitor or what could be the issue. Please HELP!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Garage Opener makes a clicking noise but wont engag

I think you will need to take off the end where all those white wires go and check the circuit board attached to it. Look for burnt or missing traces especially around the small transformer. Be sure to remember exactly where all those wires go.

o
RE: Craftsman Garage Opener makes a clicking noise but wont engag

I think this opener is toast, literally and figuratively. The circuit boards are fried inside.
Get a new opener would be my advice.
Before you energize it, check out the electric going to the unit. You might have a problem with it.
Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here