Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shingle missing

Posted by newhomeowner-2009 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 22:55

So we had really awful winds in the Northeast a couple of weeks ago, and when I came back to my vacation house in the Catskills I found that a shingle from the roof was on the lawn.

I've eyeballed the roof carefully from the ground, but can't for the life of me figure out where it came from.

So I my newbie question is: is a single missing shingle something to get upset about? Do I need to hire a guy to go to the roof and figure out where it came from and nail it back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shingle missing

Sometimes I think people throw shingles into my yard just to worry me.

If your neighbors aren't out to get you, hire a roofer to replace the shingle. Everything is a lot clearer when you actually get up on the roof.

o

Get out the binoculars and inspect again. A missing shingle could be fine or it could be a leak. Only an inpection will be sure.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. Guess this is something I can't ignore, much as I'd like to. I have a very reliable guy, fortunately, who will be going up there to take a look. He's pretty sure it came off the corner of the porch roof, which he says is the weakest spot.

You know, my first impulse was to look around and see if the shingle came from somewhere else! But there's really nothing in the area. Those winds were really blowing, though. Knocked down a tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here