Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
subfloor and heating ducts

Posted by analogmusicman (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 22:44

is there any problem with heating ducts coming in contact with floor joists,plywood subfloor etc ? I know the ducts don't get very hot but I DO notice that the heating ducts I have exposed under my kitchen subfloor seem to be centered in the space between joists. maybe that's just good construction practice,huh? also, may be a silly question, but what purpose do those pieces of wood between the joists serve? you know, the pieces in the shape off an X. they sure don't seem to be doing much.

tnx,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: subfloor and heating ducts

You are correct on all your asumptions. Xs are to prevent squeeking floors and wharped joists,they are valuable.

o

Bridging ("x" bracing) is no longer required, but blocking at each end is:

Here is a link that might be useful: Code of Ethics

o

Interesting.
Bridging is an indicator of the age of the dwelling and has functionally been replaced with pressure and span blocking.

A cross section of the heating ducts, depending upon their age, will show a form of ridged insulation adhered to the walls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here