Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diyfever

heavy rain wet carpet

DIYfever
10 years ago

We live in California and once or twice a year when it rains heavily the carpet near the front door gets sopping wet. We use a carpet cleaner to suction as much water as we can and use towels to pull it out of the carpet, and it eventually dries out. We don't have any funny smells or evidence of mold. But now that we are going to put in "luxury vinyl" plank wood flooring I want to make sure to address any problems before it goes in. I believe it is just a concrete slab. We haven't pulled up the carpet yet but I'm not even sure what to look for (cracks?). Or is it normal for concrete to "flood" like that (like states where all the houses have basements)? Does it indicate poor drainage in/under/around the front of the house?

Comments (12)

• klem1
    10 years ago

The fact it happens to be near the door and doors are about 1k times more likly to alow water to enter,I say there is nothing wrong with your foundation. The professional you are looking for specializes in weatherproofing.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

The threshold may need some caulking. It would seem water is coming in under the door. It could be running down from or migrating from another area that needs attention too. There are also weather strips for the bottom of the door that might help to deflect it. In the next storm, pull the carpet back to see where the water is coming from. I think it is wise for you to research this yourself before the new floor gets ruined.

• randy427
    10 years ago

I have occasionally found that a builder has used plywood as a spacer between the slab and the threshold. Over time the plywood rots out to where water easily enters under the threshold.
    I'd suspect that the threshold needs to be removed a reinstalled properly. Without that, caulking and deflectors would eventually let in enough water to spoil the new wood flooring.
    JMHO

• DIYfever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great information, thank you everyone. Guess I'll have to pull up the carpet and take a look and then call a professional! I feared the worst but you all have me a little reassured, thanks.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

I just did this repair on a sliding door. Caulk has no part. The first order of business is removing the side jambs, then the threshold. Grind the concrete to level as pictured.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

I adhered uncured rubber EPDM with contact cement to the concrete, leaving a large enough flap to return up the back of the threshold and up the jambs where it will be contact cemented in place.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

There is no caulk between the uncured rubber and the metal threshold; you want any water blown in to evacuate. No water can get past 6" of contact cement and an inch or more above the threshold and jambs.

DO NOT CUT THE EPDM AT CORNERS! Fold it only.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I didn't have flooding, just some moisture seepage. My guy said it needed the seam along the threshold caulked.

I think you need to pull back the carpet and watch what happens, see where that much water is coming from.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Caulk is not flashing. Thresholds need to be in pans, whether plastic, rubber or copper.

• klem1
    10 years ago

I believe the op is hireing a professional to look at his problem. The possibilities why a doorway leaks are endless but it appears the one that was fixed with EPDM is probibly improper concrete trasnition at door. It looks like the porch/patio was poured after the house was built. The add on concrete should have been at least 1" lower than origional slab. That's a nice job with the EPDM and should stop water getting under the door. I hope the bottom wall plate isn't getting wet elsewhere.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

klem 1:

Good points, but the pictured repair was a 2nd story condo. The ground concrete is actually about 2" or so higher than the patio floor although it doesn't appear to be in the pictures.

• sunnyca_gw
    10 years ago

I'm in CA. too I used to get a little rain in my kitchen couple of times a year but not rest of time & just put a towel down, couldn't figure it out & then 1 day it was beating against the door so hard, I opened it & it seemed like it was raining sideways(wind was so strong). Knowing the problem since almost all storms blew from opposite direction causing no problems, I made habit of checking to see direction of rain & if I had to be gone laid down a thick towel.(This was a new house on concrete slab. )I finally decided to get a metal awning as sun beat on kitchen side most of day. I discovered it keeps any rain from coming in the house. So that solved my problem.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz