Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Driveway

Posted by rasmich (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 22:39

We built a house last summer and moved in in September. It included a driveway. Per contract we were to have a driveway to include a 2.5 inches of basecoat asphalt. This was done last August. The driveway they put in was not straight and was narrow so we looked into widening the driveway this spring. I had 3 guys out looking at it this week. I am not very happy with the builder and didn't want to use the sub he used for the driveway. All told me the same thing- that instead of basecoat binder they put topper directly on the stone that the builder put down. They didn't dig out the driveway, and we have no idea how much stone is there. So, I called the guy who did the work last summer and he first complained the builder never paid him- the builder had no problem taking my money. Then he basically tells me that the builder told him to do it this way. He claims he argued with the builder that we needed a binder base coat and after the winter (we love in Upstate NY) he would put on a coat of topper but the builder wanted it this way.

So I have 2 questions. First, is this an issue? I've been told it will most likely start falling apart soon and we will have problems with the driveway. And if I want to widen it I'll need to rip it out and start fresh
And second, what recourse do I have with the builder. He hasn't been very easy to deal with other issues we are having and he claims he did nothing wrong. I have the contract and it clearly states 2.5 inch of base coat. Is this worth suing over? Any ideas?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Driveway

Take it to Small Claims Court, you don't need a lawyer and it's not a lot of money. As long as you have a signed contract, you will win. Getting him to pay up may be difficult.

o
RE: Driveway

never mind

This post was edited by millworkman on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 14:59

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here