Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quesera1970_gw

re-sheathing stucco house ?s

quesera1970
10 years ago

Hi everyone,
We have a 1920s stucco house that needs some serious stucco work--some cracks, but mostly where the house has been added onto in the 1980s, a porch roof removed in the 1990s and badly restuccoed (its all lumpy) or a bunch of windows partly filled in just recently during our current reno (filled in with mortar, but not covered with anything yet). We had hoped to patch over these parts of the stucco and then repaint the house but the first stucco guy to look at the house told me that it would be very hard to patch over these patches and recommended re-sheathing the house with what is essentially a top coat of Dryvit (he would fix cracks, build up the lumpy wall, put fiberglass mesh all around the house and put a top coat of new dryvit on) and not put paint on at all.
My questions are--well, what kind of questions should I be asking? Should I be avoiding a dryvit top coat over a stucco base? has anyone heard of this technique? what else do I need to know about stucco repair? The areas to repair are quite extensive, on 3 of 4 walls of the house, but mostly surface (e.g., no internal moisture problems, etc).
Also, is there a general per square foot rate/range for this kind of work? I am soliciting a few more bids, but there are not a ton of companies that seem to specialize in stucco, even though there are a lot of older/20s stucco houses where we live (Washington DC).
Thanks!

Comments (3)

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Were I you, I'd be looking for a sandblast and colorcoat.

Because of the dust, wet sandblasting is generally, the normal practice and can address the irregularities as well as remove the paint down to the original lime based stucco brown coat.

After the repairs are affected and the color coat and/or texture are applied, I would not paint the stucco. Because with another lime based product, brush coat, and a hudson sprayer, you can change the color at will, at less than 1/3rd the cost of paint.

Once you paint, thats it, you paint, or pay the price.

• quesera1970
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks snoonyb, we don't plan to repaint!

! Our first quote recommended power washing off the extant paint, fill in cracks, caulk, etc, apply a fiberglass mesh and a base coat or coats of stucco (several coats where the stucco is extremely uneven due to old rip outs/poor repairs) and then topcoat of dryvit. (cost of 7$/sq ft for materials and labor--seems reasonable but do we need this amount of work?).

What might be the advantage of this process or the advantage of wet sandblasting and color coat? It seems if we sandblast, we will get down to the original stucco coat, but there are some places where it is not there (e.g. windows filled in with a cement mix).

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

This is what I would do;the " wet sandblasting and color coat".

When you get down to the lime based product, you are dealing with similar products.
    Even the repair products are similar and all the unevenness will be corrected.