Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing Door Knocker in Fiberglass Door: Bad Idea?

Posted by leafy02 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 21, 10 at 21:08

I'd like to add a door knocker to my new front door, but it's a fiberglass door and the guy who installed it cautioned me about drilling into it and said I should have ordered it pre-drilled.

Looking around online, it seems like it can be done, but extra caution is needed to make sure the holes on the interior and exterior surfaces are level and that the surface doesn't shatter?

I definitely don't want to ruin my new door--how tricky is it to do a good job, or how likely is it that I'll ruin my door?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing Door Knocker in Fiberglass Door: Bad Idea?

pre-drilled would have been the way to go, but it's not an impossible thing to do. The key is to not try to just drill into it. You need a pilot hole to break through the surface and then carefully enlarge the hole to the size you need. The biggest concern is chipping the finish next to the hole. Depending on the style of knocker used, the knocker itself may provide some cover outboard of the attachment holes, and allow for some slop but still have a nice finished product at the end.

a quick google search for "driling a fiberglass door" led to the attached link which seems to provide a reasonable approach on how to do it.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: drilling a fiberglass door

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here