Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Emergency help needed to repair stipple ceiling

Posted by catzcar (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 20:49

Hello, I had to have all my hot and cold water pipes replaced and am now having trouble figuring out what type of brush or tool was used to stipple my ceilings. The drywall guys have done a great job and if I could leave my ceiling smooth it would be great, but this is just areas of ceiling that need to match the old ceiling.

The house is 18 yrs old and my drywall guys are even having trouble figuring it out, the regular brush doesn't match the current pattern. They are trying to figure it out and so am I. Please if anyone is familer with the patten in my photo link below I would appreacate the help..The whole thing has been a long almost month long process, I need this to be over soon

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60953747@N04/?saved=1

Thank you for any and all info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Emergency help needed to repair stipple ceiling

That ceiling looks to me like it was done with a large sponge, or a big chunk of crumpled newspaper.

o

Not a brush.

o

I detect a definite repeating flower-like pattern. I suspect there was a plastic template (like a cookie cutter) that was pushed into the wet plaster with varying degrees of pressure. When it was pulled off it created the crests in the surface.

o

In slang terms, some finishers call it a "mop". It's similar to a floor mop that has loops rather than the old standard type. Most drywall suppliers carry them but even if you were to get the exact tool used, it's giong to be tough unless your finishers know how to experiment with the mix and type of compound originally used. It can be done trial and error if they are willing to spend the time on it without gouging you for big dinero.

o

I was looking for ceiling texture techniques on utube and that looks like on that used plastic grocery bags, at least similar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here