Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cracking, sagging garage beams

Posted by billup (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 20:13

When we first moved into the house we did not know that just because a garage had a space in it, does not mean that it is an attic to store items in. I installed a 1/4" plywood floor in the space and begun to store items. The beams in my garage are parallel to a vehicle when it is parked inside and extend as one piece for 22ft. My garage is 25ft wide. After 10 or more years, the beam on the outer most (at the base of the roof) broke in two. My garage was very full of mechanical items, so I wedged a 4 x 4 under a 2ft 2 x 4 (T) under the beam with a bottle jack and lifted the beam to level and left it that way. Some months past and sheetrock began to fall off the ceiling. It was then I found that at least 7 beams had cracks in them at least 1/2 of the width. I removed most of the items in the attic. How can I fix these beams?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cracking, sagging garage beams

You probably need to sister them with structural grade fir joists of the same size, jacked into place and well-nailed into the failed ones.
Casey

o

Are the "beams" also parallel to the rafters and what is the distance between them?

o

How big are the ceiling joists? 2x4? 2x6?

o

I would also check and see how many layers of roofing you have.

o

To support a code minimum storage live load of 20 psf and a dead load of 10 psf the joists would probably have to be 2x10's at 12" o.c.

Usually this kind of structure has a center beam in order to shorten the joist span (and therefore the joist size) or trusses are used.

An engineer might be able to design a bracing system similar to a truss using the existing structure (with damaged members replaced or sistered) that would allow limited storage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here