Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lomboz

Why should I replace my garage door rollers?

lomboz
10 years ago

We just had a brand-new door installed a few years ago, and I've heard that its good to change the rollers ever so often. Why?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

I've never heard of such a thing. I can't imagine wearing out garage door rollers.

• User
    10 years ago

From where did you hear about replacing the rollers? Maybe a garage door company?

It is a good idea to periodically check the rollers, but replacement need only be done for a bad one when found.

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

"It is a good idea to periodically check the rollers, but replacement need only be done for a bad one when found."

By all means inspect all parts of the door regularly. If pulleys are used with cables for the springs, those pulleys have bearings that will eventually fail and probably will be the first parts to fail. Garage door springs of every type can be dangerous. Never forget that.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

"Garage door springs of every type can be dangerous. Never forget that."

Worth repeating. Don't even think about touching these things.

• klem1
    10 years ago

"Worth repeating. Don't even think about touching these things."

Those *!$%#@ springs are an example of "If you don't know how it works,LEAVE IT ALONE".
    LOL

• sdello
    10 years ago

Changing out/working with the linear springs isn't so bad. With the door all the way up there is very little tension in the springs. Use c-clamps in the tracks to prevent the door from "closing" and the springs can be removed pretty easily.

You need some level of mechanical expertise if you want to start playing with torsion springs.

That being said, if the cables get worn or frayed and need replacing it's a good idea to change out the pulleys at the same time.

I recall the best lubricant for the rollers is to brush some motor oil (used is fine) on them. Grease will get hard and cake with time especially in cold weather. I wouldn't replace rollers unless there is some obvious issue with them.

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

Under tension I agree (especially of they don't have an installed safety cable), but with the door up they are about as dangerous as a 10 lb coil of wire. I suppose you could drop it on your head and knock yourself of the ladder. Replacing them is about as trivial and safe as home repair jobs come (ie, don't fall off the ladder!)

Never messed with door rollers any time in the last 50 years, have never had nor seen a problem with them (some in operation daily since the 1920's).

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Wile the rollers are well engineered and seldom fail, the door as a unit requires some level of attention.

For doors with 2 springs, if you see a difference in the length of the roller shaft extending from the holder, it can indicate that there may be a unbalance in the spring tension, or the track out of square.

Lubrication is also something that needs to be accomplished and preferably with a lubricant that does not attract dust.
    I use a spray by SLIP-IT, twice a year when I change the batteries in the smoke detecters, or a spray lube used on woodworking tools.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

" Replacing them is about as trivial and safe as home repair jobs come (ie, don't fall off the ladder!)"

If you are talking about replacing Torsion Springs, this is simply not true!

A few years ago I had my two garage torsion springs replaced... in a variant of bait and switch I had to agree to replacing the rollers in order to get the 10 year warranty. I passed.