Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goliath624

Garage Door won't close - it's NOT the sensors!

goliath624
15 years ago

Hey all,

I've read through all the Garage Door postings already and have been unable to find the solution to my problem, please help!

My GDO has always worked fine, but a few days ago the door would no longer close with the remote, only with the wall button. But it only requires me to press the wall button, not "hold it down" as all the other postings describe.

Both of the sensors are full light on, no blinking. The remote will still open the door just fine, but refuses to close it. Both remotes are experiencing the same problem, so I think it has something to do with the GDO.

Comments (13)

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

bad logic board maybe?

• joed
    15 years ago

Batteries in the remote bad?
    Remote bad?

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

Have you added anything electrical to the house or garage about the time this started? Some items will interfere with the opener. If not it is most likely your logic board as davidandkasie said. Your wall control is hardwired so it would not be affected.

• goliath624
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the responses guys!

It's not the batteries/remote because I replaced the battery and tried the second remote and same problem.

I haven't added anything electrical or made any home improvements. Sounds like the logic board is the answer...

Can someone please expand on the logic board? What does it do? Where is it located? How do I replace it?

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

The logic board is on the reverse side of the end unit where all the white wires go. It has the brain and controls every function. After removing the main cover there are 2 screws holding that end in place. Then there is a quick release plug. The part number is printed on the plastic part and it runs around $80.00 new. You might get it cheaper on e-bay but I get dry mouthed even thinking of that place.

• goliath624
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, I need more help now. I replaced the logic board with a new one from Sears and still no luck. I went to program the remotes again: the lights flash the way they're supposed to while programming, but then when I try to open/close with the remote nothing happens (the light still flashes on the back of the opener though, indicating that it has power and is receiving the remote signal). The garage door still opens/closes with the button on the wall. Help!!

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

In your original post you said you could open the door but not close it. Is this still what is happening?

Try programming your opener this way. Press and hold the button on the remote and then press and immediately release the smart/learn button.

Did you make sure you got the same logic board?

• Rodney Burnett
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Boy I am having the EXACT same problem. I changed the sensors and wires from the sensors to the GDO. Both sensor lights are on and when I hold them directly across from one another and test, the door does not go down only engages then stops an light flashes. I know the sensor beam is correct as lights are on and bright. once I break the laser plane the sensor light goes off. frustrating.

• M. Nash
    3 years ago

I'm having the exact same issue as well...

• Stan
    3 years ago

So what was the fix on this?

• Stan
    3 years ago

My garage door won’t close with remote but will close if I press the button on the wall. If I open the garage door with the remote, and then walk over to the wall switch and turn the garage light off the remote would work ( close the door). It’s almost as if the light bulb is causing interference.

Very odd.

• Mary Ann Dietz
    2 years ago

I am having the same problem. My sensors are fine, the lights are on constantly. When the light on the opener turns off, all the remotes work to shut the door. The clicker on the wall always works to open and close the door. The light doesn't indicate the sensors are a problem.

• Terry Dwelle
    2 years ago

Were you able to find resolution for this issue? I have the same thing happening!