Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
celing fan mounting on 2x6 tongue and groove

Posted by jks55 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 19:42

Guys

Ive got a ceiling made of 2x6 tongue and groove in my Eichler-esque home. The T&G is the roof, there is no attic

The T&G sits on top of 2x12 beams with 6 feet span between the beams

I want to hang a ceiling fan from the T&G.

Think i can mount the fan directly to the T&G in a 4" octagon metal box without any other support to the T&G?"

Its a 20x20 room, so it will probably be a larger fan

Is the 6ft span an issue?

Any suggestions?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: celing fan mounting on 2x6 tongue and groove

How had you planned to power it?

o

"Think i can mount the fan directly to the T&G in a 4" octagon metal box without any other support to the T&G?"

Yes.

o

as for mounting it, thanks for clarifying... i just wanted to make sure it wouldnt fall down due to the 6 foot span...

as for wiring, i was going to use the flatest wiremold i could find and run it along the beam. and then the short run to the fan

keep the ideas coming

thanks

o

While the 2x will support the weight of the fan, you need the shallowest wiremold box for the connections, however, because the material gauge of the standard box is not sufficient to support the fan, you may need to modify it or purchase a box from an elec. supply house.

o

I plan on using a heavy duty metal box, approved for fan use (not a wiremold box), but use the wiremold to hide the romex for the majority of the run.

thanks!

o

You should also consider using individual conductors which will eliminate the crowding, overfill and stress in the 90 degree corners, that can be encountered with 14-3 romex.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here