Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rstl9999

Sagging summer kitchen (pulling from house)

rstl9999
11 years ago

I should have posted my message here instead of on the Decks and Porches forum (sorry for the double post!...)

Hi all,
My first post here.
I have a situation with my 60 year old summer house which I could use some informed opinion-advice. I don't have a lot of experience in house construction or structural repairs, and am largely working alone on this house, as a post-retirement project.

The house is a solid wood-frame construction on concrete foundation and bedrock, dating from around 1950. There is a summer kitchen add-on probably dating from a few years later, that is attached to the side of the house. Over the years, the far side of the summer kitchen has settled and sagged into the ground, and has started pulling away from the house at the roof attachment to the side of the house. The floor inside obviously sags toward the far side. I don't know what kind of footings or sub-floor is under there, presently.

I would like to know if there is a way I can shore this up, relevel it, and re-attach to the house securely, or else would it be better to just tear the summer kitchen down and build a new addition. Not sure which would make the best use of time, effort and materials.

I don't live there full time so don't really need a summer kitchen, but it's nice to have it for a mudroom and storage, and to store tools and supplies to allow me to remodel the interior of the house.

For one thing, if I will keep the summer kitchen (and find a way to jack it up in the back, shore it up, and reattach to the house) I plan on dismantling the chimney on it now, and plugging the hole in the roof.

I attach several pictures (on the link below the photo) showing the outside, inside, and attic portions of the summer kitchen. I look forward to your thoughts, suggestions, advice. Thank you!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer kitchen pictures

Comment (1)