Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drainage issues

Posted by lexie76 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 19:10

Hello,

I live in a condo and have gotten flooded due to drainage issues. It is a known issue to my HOA and they have dragged their feet on this for 10 years. Rather than use the settlement money from the builder to fix the problems, they invested the money and as a result, numerous units were flooded from heavy rain storms. The current Board has finally agreed to do the necessary repairs but they didn't get to it before winter and it is currently on hold until spring. Every time we get moisture there is standing water & ice next to the foundation.

The HOA fixed and paid for the flood damages in the inside. In the spring they will do the repairs outside and will not give a flying f**k about potential problems within the unit ((sorry to put it so bluntly). My concern is cracks in the foundation from years of neglect. There are cracks outside of my patio and porch. I am worried about mold. I am not a handy person so it's not easy for me to remove my carpet to check for cracks. What do you recommend that I do? I want a peace of mind and also I want to be able to sell my condo with confidence. Do I hire an environmental remediation company or get a house inspection? Thanks in advance!

This post was edited by lexie76 on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 19:20

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drainage issues

Hind sight is 20/20.
When you found the funds for the repairs were not going to be used for that purpose you should have gotten the affected owners together and sued the board for malfeasance and had them thrown out and elected a new board.

A home inspection can be a double edged sword and may or may not be a prerequisite.

If ordered by the seller, often the repairs are not made and they become a negotiated settlement in the offer/counter offer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here