Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kitchen exhaust fan

Posted by spinmom (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 15, 09 at 19:06

I redid my kitchen in Oct. 2007 (a total gut, remodel). My exhaust hood is over a cooktop and vents to the outside by going down behind the wall into the crawl space and then about 15 feet to vent to the outside. It turns out that for the past year and a half the grease has been collecting on the fan blades and there is nothing in the collection cups. What could be causing this? Could it be caused by the outside vent being blocked by leaves?
Thanks for any help/advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kitchen exhaust fan

Most vent hood fans are meant to discharge the exhaust immediately, not push it down a run of over 15 feet. Length and turns cause turbulance that will defeat the effective removal of fumes. You need the type of fan that is mounted at the exhaust point so it will draw the air through.

o

The only way I know of to trap grease and oils in a residential range exhaust system is to provide a filter that can be removed and washed. I suspect that the cups are more for moisture condensation. If the fan is sized for the length and turns of the duct it should work fine.

o

Why don't you post the name and model # of the unit you have.
Do you have the installation instruction?
Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here