Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GAF-Elk Timberline Prestique 30 shingles

Posted by jenajena (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 7, 09 at 19:04

Had a new roof after Hurricane Ike, same as I had--GAF-Elk Timberline Prestique 30. It's been a couple of months, lots of sun and some 80 degree days, and many of the shingles have not adhered. We had a wind and lots of them came up at the ends. I noticed two strips of plastic at top of shingles. The roofer said these were just for shipping and need not be removed before laying the shingles. Can someone tell me if this is true?
Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GAF-Elk Timberline Prestique 30 shingles

The roofer is correct. The strip is there to keep the shingles from adhering to one another while bundled. The glue strip at the leading edge of the underside of the shingle,( on elk's), is your adhesion spot. You need to go up or call your roofer back and have them apply henrys roof cement,( more convienent and easier if you use the caulkng tubes/caulking gun),and apply beads to the leading edge where the existing glue strip lies. Do this on a warm day and you wont have to weight them down, they will sttle and seal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here