Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carbon Monoxide Detection and Movement

Posted by plumeriavine (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 5, 10 at 19:00

Online, I am finding some variation about where to put carbon monoxide detectors.

Any opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carbon Monoxide Detection and Movement

Where required by the applicable building code or local ordinance, they are usually required to be located on each story of the dwelling including basements but not crawl spaces or uninhabitable attics.

The CO detectors may or may not be required to be interconnected, combined with smoke detectors, or have battery backup.

Don't rely on the internet; find out what code and/or ordinance applies and read it or ask your building department.

o

I always locate mine near furnace vents, CO2 is heavier than air.

o

CO2 is heavier than air but CO is not. Because CO quickly diffuses throughout a room, a CO detector should be placed where it won't be accidentally damaged or provide false alarms.

CO2 is an indoor pollutant and greenhouse gas. CO will combine with hemoglobin in your blood and kill you.

o

NFPA 720 "Standard for the Installation of Carbon Monoxide(CO) Detection and Warning Equipment" says:
"A carbon monoxide alarm or detector should be centrally located outside of each separated sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms. Where bedrooms are separated and the audibility of the alarm or detector to occupants within the bedroom area could be seriously impaired, more than one unit could be needed."

o

Mixing up CO and CO2 was rather silly. I stand corrected.

I still mount a CO detector close to the closest heating register to the furnace, preferably as close to above it as possible.

Then another in the vicinity of the bedrooms.

I had a situation where the detector nearest the vent went off. It was during the day and I did the necessary checking before the bedroom mounted one triggered.

It is one of those better than recommended things in my mind.

o

CO leaks can occur at a heating appliance or anywhere along a vent flue/chimney. Rather than trying to predict where the leak will occur it is best to locate CO detectors near the occupants especially where they sleep and where they are more likely to hear and/or be awakened by the alarm.

To provide greater protection the CO detectors can be located inside as well as outside a bedroom and/or be linked together and/or be combined with the smoke detectors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here