Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing an aluminum sliding patio door wheel

Posted by ceetom1 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 18:41

Can anyone offer advice on replacing an aluminum sliding patio door wheel. The door is very difificult to slide to the point where I need to lift it to move it. The 8 foot tall door is taller than the opening from sill to sill, which means I may have to remove the stationary door facing the outdoors first in order to remove the sliding door. The stationary door does not have a high sill like the sliding door, so it should be easier to remove. However, I do not see anything to remove the stationary door such as a spacer in the top track or any screws. It is difficult if not impossible to lift up, so there may be something holding it in place. Any help is appreciated.

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing an aluminum sliding patio door wheel

The link below gives you the procedure for replacing the rollers---which are most likely the reason your door is so difficult to operate.

You can buy the replacement parts from most hardware stores or home improvement stores.

This replacement procedure also explains how to take the door out of the frame.

All you will need is a couple of screwdrivers---a flat tip and a Phillips tip.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to replace the rollers

o
RE: Replacing an aluminum sliding patio door wheel

Be sure to check on the moving side if there are any screws in the upper track for security (and if there are not you may need to add them).

It is relatively easy to break in through a sliding door by lifting it off the track.
The little pot metal latch can be broken easily.

A few screws in the upper track sticking part way out to reduce the clearance prevent the door from being lifted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here