Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these termites, and do we need to act now?

Posted by mudworm (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 14, 11 at 17:24

Hi, we live in the SF Bay Area (Nor Cal). Yesterday, while clearing out the crawl space, I found a cardboard box that are infested by these insects. Are these (in the image below) the infamous drywood termites? The weird thing is, only this one empty box was infested, and the neighboring cardboard boxes are all intact. I've thrown away that one box already. Do I have reason to believe that the termites are else where too?

Another question is, do termites cause damage fast (if they do exist elsewhere in the house), or can we wait for a while before we get the treatment? (Mainly, we are doing kitchen remodeling and are a little overwhelmed right now.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these termites, and do we need to act now?

Sure look like termites.

o

These are termites. I believe Subterranean. If they are in the crawl space than they are there. You can look for TUBES (mud tubes) up your foundation walls along the perimeter of your house for more evidence of infestation. Termite damage is fairly slow, but it might be less expensive to treat now than later.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Interiors

o

Even if the insects in question are not termites, the conditions in the area favorable for them are also favorable for termites. Reason enough to have professional evaluation.
And those do look like subterranean termites.

o

This is not my own knowledge, but cardboard is reputed to be termite candy. Treat or not, you should get it out of the crawl space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here