Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lostvalleyfarm

Should I hire Amish to put on steel roof?

alanis
13 years ago

Anyone have the Amish put on steel roof on their home? We are considering it, but then I hear people say be careful hiring Amish, they use cheap materials, so they can give you lower prices.

Would love to hear from people that have steel roofs!! Pros and Cons to doing it. Would you do anything different?

Thanks,

Comments (11)

• krissie55
    13 years ago

You could solve this possible problem by buying the materials yourself and then hire the Amish to do installation.

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

I agree with krissie ... the Amish re-built a friends barn that bunred to the ground a couple of years ago ... the quality of their workmanship is amazing.

• ionized_gw
    13 years ago

I only hire irish or Welsh to to roofing. Germans are good at siding, but not painting. French and Italians are good for painting. Fence work, that goes to Polish or other Slavs. Masonry, the English or Spanish.....

• energy_rater_la
    13 years ago

I only hire irish or Welsh to to roofing. Germans are good at siding, but not painting. French and Italians are good for painting. Fence work, that goes to Polish or other Slavs. Masonry, the English or Spanish.....

LOL!!!

• xracer
    13 years ago

make sure they have work comp. steel roofing is very dangerous.

• lazypup
    13 years ago

I am 64 years old and I grew up on an Amish farm until i was 19 years old and ran away to see the world.

Having grown a bit older and wiser I still stay in touch with many of my Amish kinfolk and I can tell you first hand, it is not the honesty of the Amish you need to worry about. In fact, the biggest single complaint amongst the Amish today is the legal requirement to sign a contract.

Per their character Amish are very reluctant to sign a contract and years ago if you were negotiating a job with them and wanted to take notes or sign a contract they would quietly get up, walk out to the buggy and head off, never to be seen again. WHY you ask? The reasoning is simple, they are honest to a fault and if your word and your memory are so poor that you need to take notes they simply don't want to do business with you.

• Paul Purewal
    3 years ago

Just hope they don't get injured. They have no insurance and if something happens you are liable.

• kudzu9
    3 years ago

Well, since we haven’t heard anything for 10 years, it probably worked out OK.

• Ronniejoe
    3 years ago

I had a barn built 15 mouths ago and is rusting on all the edges and screw heads looks like crap !

• Luis Cuevas
    2 years ago

If you do not trust them, then take your business elsewhere, however, I got a few metal roofs installed without any problem and a written warranty of 45 years. I have to tell, they never ask for any money before the roofs were installed. If you want the best materials then buy it yourself and ask price for the installation only. I believe Amish people are honorable or at least the Amish that I know