Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I hire Amish to put on steel roof?

Posted by alanis (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 11 at 17:04

Anyone have the Amish put on steel roof on their home? We are considering it, but then I hear people say be careful hiring Amish, they use cheap materials, so they can give you lower prices.

Would love to hear from people that have steel roofs!! Pros and Cons to doing it. Would you do anything different?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I hire Amish to put on steel roof?

You could solve this possible problem by buying the materials yourself and then hire the Amish to do installation.

o

I agree with krissie ... the Amish re-built a friends barn that bunred to the ground a couple of years ago ... the quality of their workmanship is amazing.

o

I only hire irish or Welsh to to roofing. Germans are good at siding, but not painting. French and Italians are good for painting. Fence work, that goes to Polish or other Slavs. Masonry, the English or Spanish.....

o

Why would you think that there are any more or less dishonest Amish than any other people? They are people. They happen to have different religious practices than mainstream America, but they are still people.

The fact that they're Amish doesn't really have a bearing on whether or not they're honest. There are Amish who do beautiful craftsmanship, and there are Amish who have puppy mills. There are Amish who would give you the shirt off the back, and there are Amish who rape their sisters. Pretty much what you'd find in a cross sampling of America - you've got your good eggs, you've got your bad eggs.

Get references or recommendations, same as you would for any other work.

o

I only hire irish or Welsh to to roofing. Germans are good at siding, but not painting. French and Italians are good for painting. Fence work, that goes to Polish or other Slavs. Masonry, the English or Spanish.....

LOL!!!

o

make sure they have work comp. steel roofing is very dangerous.

o

I am 64 years old and I grew up on an Amish farm until i was 19 years old and ran away to see the world.

Having grown a bit older and wiser I still stay in touch with many of my Amish kinfolk and I can tell you first hand, it is not the honesty of the Amish you need to worry about. In fact, the biggest single complaint amongst the Amish today is the legal requirement to sign a contract.

Per their character Amish are very reluctant to sign a contract and years ago if you were negotiating a job with them and wanted to take notes or sign a contract they would quietly get up, walk out to the buggy and head off, never to be seen again. WHY you ask? The reasoning is simple, they are honest to a fault and if your word and your memory are so poor that you need to take notes they simply don't want to do business with you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here