Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wethead4

Flat rooftop used as a Patio

wethead4
14 years ago

Hello, I was wondering if any experts can provide some insight for my condo associations dilemma. We have been having countless rooftop issues, such as roof leaks, bubbles, failing beams due to rot, name a problem we've had. Now, top floor owners have exclusive rights to the rooftop, they've actually partitioned off each space using planters. They also have patio furniture, but lately have been putting other storage items up there. Currently, to make the roof usable, the roof has 4x4 walkpad mats (which have a loose particle layer that actually cause drainage issues)on top of the actual roof membrane. Other building unit owners have become increasingly discontent b/c lately, the roof has required costly repairs and resulted in several leaks, all of which was paid in the form of assessments to the entire building. But since there is no real way to prove that the problems have been a result of top floor unit owner negligence, everyone in the bulding has to pick up the tab.

My question is two fold, Is there a recommended limit on what can be put up there, and two, is there a relatively inexpensive alternative to the walkpads that does not have a loose particle layer that can clog the drain? One owner suggested we use the max allowable weight for snow (which i believe is about 3 feet of snow or 25 lbs/sqft as a guidline) input would be much appreciated.

Comments (3)