Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window glazing

Posted by bus_driver (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 16:24

Long ago, the advice was to prime wooden windows with oil-based primer before replacing glazing when replacing a broken pane or failed glazing. Oil-based primer no longer available. So what is the suggested primer and how long to let it dry before the new glazing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window glazing

I can't answer your priming question. I have to seal up all of my windows so I am going to try Glaze-Ease 601. It is not cheap, but no priming and it can be painted in 2 hours. I bought a couple of tubes, but I have not gotten around to starting my 23+ window project. If I were repairing one window, I would probably stick with standard glazing compound.

o

Oil based primer is available at Big Box. Kilz oil based is available inquart containers.

o

Oil based primer is definitely still available the formula has been changed for the current VOC laws (less oil) but still available. Kilz as the previous poster mentioned and most paint manufacturers will have the product available.

o

Ionized, I wish you better luck with the Glaze-Ease 601 than I had. I found the mousse-like consistency hard to work with, despite the video where the guy puts it on so easily.

And the stuff is expensive and doesn't go very far. I used one tube for two 2-over-2 sashes and barely had enough. The coverage rate of 35 linear feet per tube seems like a lot, but they figure that for a 3/8 x 3/8 rabbet.

o

ionized,

Please let us know what you think about Glaze-Eaze 601 after you have done a few windows.

o

It has been a few years since I used DAP 33. Easy to get a good looking job, but I have been disappointed in the long-term performance of the material. Life in the can is poor. It ages rapidly. Surely modern chemistry can do better. Some say SarcoSeal is the better choice. Never tried it.

o

Glazing is method to fit the panes of glass in a window, door or etc.Economy Glass provide glazing services. For more visit http://economyglass.com.au/

o

genegrahan. williamfitzgerald or whoever you claim to be at the moment, advertising is not permitted on this site. Australia is a bit too distant for my location.
"Glazing is method to fit the panes of glass in a window, door or etc". But your advice is pure genius.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here