Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bus_driver

Window glazing

bus_driver
12 years ago

Long ago, the advice was to prime wooden windows with oil-based primer before replacing glazing when replacing a broken pane or failed glazing. Oil-based primer no longer available. So what is the suggested primer and how long to let it dry before the new glazing?

Comments (8)

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

I can't answer your priming question. I have to seal up all of my windows so I am going to try Glaze-Ease 601. It is not cheap, but no priming and it can be painted in 2 hours. I bought a couple of tubes, but I have not gotten around to starting my 23+ window project. If I were repairing one window, I would probably stick with standard glazing compound.

• brusso
    12 years ago

Oil based primer is available at Big Box. Kilz oil based is available inquart containers.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Oil based primer is definitely still available the formula has been changed for the current VOC laws (less oil) but still available. Kilz as the previous poster mentioned and most paint manufacturers will have the product available.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Ionized, I wish you better luck with the Glaze-Ease 601 than I had. I found the mousse-like consistency hard to work with, despite the video where the guy puts it on so easily.

And the stuff is expensive and doesn't go very far. I used one tube for two 2-over-2 sashes and barely had enough. The coverage rate of 35 linear feet per tube seems like a lot, but they figure that for a 3/8 x 3/8 rabbet.

• inox
    12 years ago

ionized,

Please let us know what you think about Glaze-Eaze 601 after you have done a few windows.

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It has been a few years since I used DAP 33. Easy to get a good looking job, but I have been disappointed in the long-term performance of the material. Life in the can is poor. It ages rapidly. Surely modern chemistry can do better. Some say SarcoSeal is the better choice. Never tried it.

• genegraham
    9 years ago

Glazing is method to fit the panes of glass in a window, door or etc.Economy Glass provide glazing services. For more visit http://economyglass.com.au/

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

genegrahan. williamfitzgerald or whoever you claim to be at the moment, advertising is not permitted on this site. Australia is a bit too distant for my location.
    "Glazing is method to fit the panes of glass in a window, door or etc". But your advice is pure genius.