Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage floor lip

Posted by txmat (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 20, 09 at 16:07

I have a cement garage floor and driveway. There is a 3/4 inch lip at the front of the garage. (I assume this is to keep water out of the garage.) I have a table saw on a stand with small casters. I like to move the saw to the driveway, but the caster to stand clearance is not sufficient to go over the lip without dragging the stand feet on the cement. What can I do to modify the lip so that I can roll the stand over it without jeopardizing the water protection the lip offers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage floor lip

Take a 1 x 6 and bevel or plane the edges to create a smooth transition between the two surfaces. Lay that down when you need to roll the saw in and out and pull it back up the rest of the time.

o

Thanks for the idea. That is the kind of simple idea I was looking for. I had thought of a ramp, but was making it to complicated in my head.

o

You can also use a 2'x4'piece of 1/8" masonite to layover the lip. The saw will easily traverse the 1/8" lip of the masonite.
Ron

o

Thanks Ron, I would not think the Masonite is strong enough to handle the weight of the contractor saw. As for the 1 X 6, can I use my table saw to put the bevel in since it would be about a 60 degree angle? If yes how do you set it up since the saw will only tilt to 45 degrees?

o

Risky, but you could attach it to another 2 x 6 on edge, shim out the bottom as necessary for the angle, tack the two boards together on top only (where the saw blade will NOT pass through the nails.) Then set the fence and run it through.

Or you could use a hand plane, power plane, or belt sander.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here