Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wataugan

Join Pipe

wataugan
12 years ago

The 4 inch pipe that comes to my outside electrical box has unjoined and moved about 1 inch downhill. I would like to join it back but the electric company wants to shut off power, have me fix it then come and turn on power. I just want like to find a flexible rubber fitting that I can split spread between the pipes and attach with pipe clamps, Anyone know where I can buy a piece of rubber or flexible rubber sleeve. Couldn't find at HD or lowe's/

Comments (9)

• handymac
    12 years ago

Fix it right.

What you propose means creating a leak that can let water in and cause all kinds of problems, including a possible fire.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

The line form the POCO to the box or from the box to your main panel/disconnect?

The line from the POCO to you should be there problem in moist places.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

The POCO is only responsible for the line from the pole to the weatherhead where it is spliced to the lines coming out of the weatherhead and the actual electric meter.

The homeowner is responsible for the installation and maintenance of the weatherhead, service entrance conduit, meter enclosure and all wire downstream from the junction at the weatherhead.

However, the power company is absolutely right. No one but a fool would make any attempt to performa any maintenance on the service entrance equipment unless they had the power company cut the power first. There are absolutely no circuit breakers from the main breakers in your service entrance panel back to the pole, and if a conduit is separated you can not be sure that the wires inside are not strained in such a manner that you might cause one to pull loose and short against the conduit while your working on it. If that should happen you would be hit with all the amperage that is available from the transformer on the pole, which means instant death...its nothing to joke with,,,do it right or have someone who knows how do it right, but under no circumstances should you just wrap some rubber around it and call that fixed.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"The POCO is only responsible for the line from the pole to the weatherhead where it is spliced to the lines coming out of the weatherhead and the actual electric meter. "

This varies by state.

In Virginia the POCO is responsible to the top of the meter.

The OP might want to cal the POCO and the AHJ and talk with them.

POCOs are sometimes reluctant to undertake any repair that is not creating an imminent hazard.

A direct burial line that is eposed at the meter is not likely to be an imminent hazard.

The line exits the conduit underground anyway.
    Water is not going to bother it.

• AliceHasLeftTheBuilding
    12 years ago

"not likely to be an imminent hazard" can be right up there with "Hey, Bubba, watch this!" on the list of words you hear right before things go horribly wrong.

OP - You're clearly out of your league. Call an electrician. Or just go ahead and do whatever you want - you might get lucky. Or you might take yourself out of the gene pool.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

""not likely to be an imminent hazard" can be right up there with "Hey, Bubba, watch this!" on the list of words you hear right before things go horribly wrong. "

If it is direct burial cable it is only covered to protect it from YOU damaging it, not for any electrical safety.

• alphonse
    12 years ago

"The 4 inch pipe that comes to my outside electrical box has unjoined and moved about 1 inch downhill."

Insufficient info given to conclude on the cause for "unjoining".

However, if the conduit has shifted there is a distinct possibility that the wire within has too.
    The hazard of strained connections should be apparent. Pulling the meter is absolutely part of the repair.

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

"The 4 inch pipe that comes to my outside electrical box has unjoined and moved about 1 inch downhill. "

This from the OP would indicate an underground service feed.

What's interesting is the "4" pipe, and does it terminate in a gutter or at the service, and what type of facility warrants a service feed in a 4" pipe.

Is this a single run from the transformer, or is there a POCO underground pull box?

It would appear from the OP's description that when this service feed was trenched for, that the trench had been back filled and improperly compacted before the pipe laid, or the riser was incorrectly measured. Both condition will result in stress on the service connections by the resulting deflection.

As a curtesy, the POCO has allowed you the opportunity to have the repair accomplished.

The next step may be having the service disconnected, to protect their equipment.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"As a curtesy, the POCO has allowed you the opportunity to have the repair accomplished. "

It may well be the POCO problem depending on state law.

I am sure they would 'allow' you to repair it if they are on the hook.