Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interior Door Hardware

Posted by honeydoes (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 08 at 12:23

Does anyone have a suggestion for good quality interior door hardware (door knobs mostly). Baldwin has a stunning lineup, but at $160/door they are a bit expensive. The builder-quality hardware we have now is driving me nuts. I'm looking for a happy middle. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interior Door Hardware

I just placed an order with Rejuvenation. Their prices are creeping up towards Baldwin levels, but closer down to $100/door, although you can go higher as you get fancier.

o

Check out the "Gatehouse" line at lowes, they offer solid brass knobs and levers for a reasonable cost. I was pleasantly surprised for the price.

o

Yes, I've worked with Rejuvenation. Nice stuff, but imported. I'll check out both of these.

o

Maybe you're looking at the higher end baldwin stuff, but

I paid around 40-50 per door for the baldwin knobs I bought. I got them straight from HD Expo, but there are plenty of places on the web. I mostly did the Baldwin 5405 Classic Knob Set either the full dummy set or the privacy set in Satin Nickel.

http://www.baldwinbrasshardware.com/images_collection/knobs.htm

o

We're replacing all of the interior door hardware in our house with Emtek pieces, and so far we've been very happy with the quality. It's a huge step up from the garbage that came with the house (I assume it was original from the builder when the house was built in 1988). We paid about $45 per leverset (cortina, satin nickel) from Lockhouse.com. Then I think around $10 a door for hinges to match (since we're changing the finish, brass hinges with satin nickel levers looks silly).

To veer off-topic for a moment, what is the deal with selling hinges in *pairs*? This idea must have come from the same people who set up the hot dogs/buns conspiracy. Every door takes three hinges, so if you want to do one door, you have to buy two pair and waste one hinge. Of course, over an entire house, it doesn't matter much (if you have an even number of doors, it works out, otherwise you only waste one hinge), but it still seems kind of ridiculous...

o

Hey sch9171,

Garbage (I like your term) plastic interior doors only need two garbage hinges, they are so light. Some places sell hinges individually, per piece. But as you say if you're hanging 10 doors, an extra hinge won't matter.

Home Depot has a Pegasus line, but as usual they didn't have the units I need in stock (or at least that I could find on the shelf). I don't live near a Lowes, but fear the same issue there.

I ended up going with Baldwin's Images line (Classic knobs) which were in the $55 range. chrisk327 was right, I was pricing the Estate line, which is considerably more money. I've used baldwinbrassdepot.com before, and called them again. Good advice, everything in stock, flat rate shipping. Nice place to check out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here