Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ice guard membrane OVER existing modified membrane.

Posted by buzzards27 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 12:15

Probably a dumb question but is it possible to apply ice guard membrane on top of a section of modified roofing that the roofer torched directly to he plywood decking. Question is would it adhere to the old surface and would it still work as a water barrier.

I see Grace ice and water says it can be applied over old roofing unserlatment...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ice guard membrane OVER existing modified membrane.

I do believe you are mistaken about Grace I&W applied over old roofing underlayment. Read technical bulletin #5.

You may want to look up Grace Ultra.

All aside, I have seen Grace baked between layers of roofing during tear-offs. Appears someone thought it may be a good idea to peel back the bottom foot of covering down to the decking & apply I&W for the first foot, with the balance adhered to the roof covering. I have seen it more than once, and it bakes the adhesive, rendering it useless.

I should add, the membrane was between layers of roof covering. Also, if by chance your idea was to use the I&W as a roof covering, there is a window, which the membrane can be exposed to the elements. Can't remember off hand, but it's something like 30, 60 or 90 days.

This post was edited by Roof35 on Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 13:13

o

Torch-down roofing should have a modified-bitumen/asphalt top membrane so a self-adhering modified -asphalt membrane like Grace Ice & Water Shield should adhere to it well but the surface must be clean.

o

Did you have any leaks through the old roof?

Once the leaks occur stripping becomes far more important to check the roof deck for hidden damage.

Or you can hope the roofer does not find any 'soft spots' applying the new roof.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here