Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using old chain link fence posts for a new privacy fence?

Posted by pretty_saab (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 11:54

HI everyone!

I have been thinking of replacing my 6 foot high chain link fence with a cedar privacy fence. Has anyone out there every reused the chain link posts for a new privacy fence? Is this possible? It would save a lot of time and money if we could do this. Any input you have is much appreciated! Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using old chain link fence posts for a new privacy fence?

I don't think the metal posts would look good agaist the cedar.

o

I agree that the metal/cedar mix would not look good. For privacy you could get the filler strips that slide into the chain link fencing. Not as aesthetically pleasing as a wooden fence but I suspect it's cheaper and will do the job.

o

The posts would not be visible from the outside of the yard, and on the inside, there is always the option of wrapping them in wood to conceal them. Here is an interesting article i read on it

Here is a link that might be useful: Reusing chain link posts

o

In addition to " pretty_saab's" idea, there are specific brackets available for the process

However, inspect the posts near their base for rust..

o

@pretty_sabb: "Here is an interesting article i read on it"

Well if you already researched it, why do you ask????

o

Geoffrey_B,

That showed her! lol

o

As most of us know, (except Geoffrey), there's a big difference between reading about a project in a magazine and finding someone here who has actually done it and can talk about it pointing out tips that they discovered.

Sorry, pretty_saab, seems like you struck out on this forum (except for snoonyb's tip about rust). Good luck.

o

I use the process in the article referenced by " pretty_saab"with a slight variation/s.

I dome the, vinyl ad-mix, concrete at the posts to prevent the affect of ponding which van occur from soil subsidence, wash the posts with vinegar, prime, using a string line mount the brackets.
The field posts are sleeved/enclosed with 1x and 2x for posts where gates are installed.
There are any number of capitols available for the post tops, or you can fashion your own.

o

Yes,you can replace chain link fence with cedar privacy fence,but there is need to consider some parameter like height of fence,you have to sure none of the posts are loose from the concrete,etc. you can refer TotalFence Inc,hope they will help you in proper way.

Here is a link that might be useful: TotalFence Inc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here