Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pretty_saab

Using old chain link fence posts for a new privacy fence?

pretty_saab
10 years ago

HI everyone!

I have been thinking of replacing my 6 foot high chain link fence with a cedar privacy fence. Has anyone out there every reused the chain link posts for a new privacy fence? Is this possible? It would save a lot of time and money if we could do this. Any input you have is much appreciated! Thank you!!

Comments (9)

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

I don't think the metal posts would look good agaist the cedar.

• sdello
    10 years ago

I agree that the metal/cedar mix would not look good. For privacy you could get the filler strips that slide into the chain link fencing. Not as aesthetically pleasing as a wooden fence but I suspect it's cheaper and will do the job.

• pretty_saab
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The posts would not be visible from the outside of the yard, and on the inside, there is always the option of wrapping them in wood to conceal them. Here is an interesting article i read on it

Here is a link that might be useful: Reusing chain link posts

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

In addition to " pretty_saab's" idea, there are specific brackets available for the process

However, inspect the posts near their base for rust..

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

@pretty_sabb: "Here is an interesting article i read on it"

Well if you already researched it, why do you ask????

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

Geoffrey_B,

That showed her! lol

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

I use the process in the article referenced by " pretty_saab"with a slight variation/s.

I dome the, vinyl ad-mix, concrete at the posts to prevent the affect of ponding which van occur from soil subsidence, wash the posts with vinegar, prime, using a string line mount the brackets.
    The field posts are sleeved/enclosed with 1x and 2x for posts where gates are installed.
    There are any number of capitols available for the post tops, or you can fashion your own.

• AdamCor
    9 years ago

Yes,you can replace chain link fence with cedar privacy fence,but there is need to consider some parameter like height of fence,you have to sure none of the posts are loose from the concrete,etc. you can refer TotalFence Inc,hope they will help you in proper way.

Here is a link that might be useful: TotalFence Inc

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz