Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
icky smell when doing laundry

Posted by seamer1 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 3, 06 at 11:45

When I do a load of laundry, the house fills up with a smell like sewer gas. It hasn't always done this. The washer has an ouside vent, what should I be checking to find the problem, and how should I fix it

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: icky smell when doing laundry

Not sure by what you mean by it "has an outside vent". Do you mean the drain line is vented? I assume you washer discharges to a standpipe (or in wall pipe) as opposed to a wash tub. In that case your vent could be clogged which would cause the water in the trap to be pulled down the drain because of the vacuum created. The vent is there to keep that from happening, if it gets clogged then it causes problems. If the water get pulled out of the trap then there's nothing to keep the gases from coming up trough the drain line and into the house.

Or could the smell possibly be from your water? Sometimes you can get a rotten egg smell from your hot water tank due to the anode rod corroding - or if you have well water like I do its possible that sometimes the water just stinks coming out of the groud. But if your whole house is stinking I'm betting on the vent.

o

Look around at your floor drains or sink drains. One of them may have dried up. Dump some water down the floor drains or unused sink, shower drains in the basement.

o

If your laundry is in the basement check the sump to see if it needs cleaning. I had a bathroom with a shower put in the basement and had an episode of sewer gas. The plumbers found when the house was built a trap was not put in the floor drain and was allowing the gas to come in. Now the wash tub has to have a plug in it, the sumps are caulked shut and a cover is kept over the floor drain. This has kept the odor in control. Good luck.

o

baymee....I can tell you've done work for some big buildings where this is a common problem. What you describe is one of the biggest contributers to sewer odor. A clogged vent also does a number. Bees, birds (mostly from droppings sticking to inside) spider webs, a wayward leaf are common causes.

o

Is this a new problem ?

o

It is a recent problem. The washer is on the main floor of the house, and outside there is a real tall pipe that sticks up the side of the house. That is the vent I was talking about. So, how would I go about unclogging it? could I pour drain cleaner down it? It looks like PVC

o

Just look down it and look for some obstruction. Pouring things inside should not be necessary. It could be a wasps nest, or as I said, a drain that's trap has dried up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here