Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fixing cracked caulking

Posted by xrox (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 3, 11 at 10:48

All the trim in our 5yr old house is separating from the wall and the joints (miter, butt) are cracked. So I decided to fix it by re-caulking with DAP Alex Plus caulk and repainting.

One month after finishing the job the joints are already cracked again?????

Some notes:

-Temperatures during this month ranged from +12C to -22C
-The crack gap is small (1mm or less) meaning very little caulk gets in the crack
-The trim seems well secured as I cannot push the crack closed with force. It seems more like expansion and contraction from temperature and humidity is the source of the problem

Possible solutions

-Use pure silicone (paintable) instead of acrylic or siliconized acrylic

Any other thoughts or suggestions on how to get a lasting seal of these joints and cracks????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fixing cracked caulking

1. I presume you did not cut away the old caulk before you re-caulked? The proper way to do it is to use a razor blade to remove all or most of the old stuff and then to caulk.

2. It may have been too cold when you caulked, either at the time or while it was curing.

3. If I am characterizing things correctly, you should wait until it gets warmer, cut away the old (and new) caulking, and then caulk with a high quality caulk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here