Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbx2_gw

Screw pops repair

pbx2_gw
10 years ago

So our 11 months old house has a few screw pops that we'd will be putting on the punch list for the builder on the 1 year anniversary.

What's the best way to repair them? - just so I can be knowledgeable - when reviewing the repair work & process.

Most of the pops look like bumps (top 2 bumps in pic below) more than actually breaking out through the drywall.

My biggest concern is that I have some pops are near adjacent walls & there appears to be some slight separation between these 2 walls - like the screws aren't holding the walls tight enough to each other any more.

Comments (9)

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

When you see three pops adjacent to each other it suggests (to me) that the guy was looking for the stud. :-)

I would put in a new sheet rock screw INTO the stud and then using a nail punch set the existing fasteners beneath the surface of the sheet rock.

When inserting that new screw, make sure you push in on the sheet rock to set it against the stud.

YMMV

This post was edited by saltidawg on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 11:56

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Saltidawg - the picture was something i grabbed from the net to demonstrate the bulge that I was speaking of :)

From my current research, I see one suggestion which is to install into the sheetrock a new screw above & below the popped screw & mud over & repaint.

But what to do with the faulty screw? What would your nail punch do there? Confused ??

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

It's pretty easy to scrape the joint cement off the popped screw, and either screw it in more, or remove it.

The joint cement is realatively 'soft'.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

"But what to do with the faulty screw? What would your nail punch do there? Confused ??"

More often then not, a "nail" pop is a nail as opposed to a screw.

If it is a popped nail, it will push the head of the nail beneath the paper surface of the sheet rock. Off course if it is a popped screw, less likely - you can screw it in OR out.

If you do not do this, after you add a screw above and below how will you mud over it if it is standing proud of the paper surface?

This post was edited by saltidawg on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 15:09

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by Geoffrey_B (My Page) on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 14:15
    It's pretty easy to scrape the joint cement off the popped screw, and either screw it in more, or remove it.
    The joint cement is realatively 'soft'.

I got the impression that screwing it further in may risk breaking that dry wall location - weakening that particular area - True?

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

If indeed you have put in new drywall screws above and below the culprit, presumably the drywall is being held "in" against the stud by those tow new screws.

Even if the new screws are not holding the sheet rock against the stud, they are serving to hold the sheet rock stationery - something the popped nail was no longer doing.

That popped nail (or screw) is now superfluous and it really doesn't matter in or out.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 17:00

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate the always helpful feedback & confirmation saltidawg!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

I wouldn't try to drive a screw below flush with a nail set, I'd remove it after properly setting a new screw.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

"I wouldn't try to drive a screw below flush with a nail set, I'd remove it after properly setting a new screw."

Likely you missed it, but after putting in a screw both above and below the popped nail, it makes no matter about the original screw/nail. lol

Either remove or drive in below surface.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 8:48

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!