Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Mold removal

Posted by enmnm (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 9:51

Someone-who-shall-remain-nameless (not me!) did not clean up the sawdust from a home improvement project in a far corner of the basement. Now, we have a lump of mold.

What is the best way to get rid of it? I have heard scrubbing it, vinegar, boric acid, etc. If I use water down there how do I dry it so nothing more sprouts?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Mold removal

bleach


 o
RE: Mold removal

Bleach removes the mold, but does not kill mold spores.

There are several home recipies and some OTC products that kill spores.


 o
RE: Mold removal

Just remove the material and move on.

Most of the spores 9If there are any) will be in the material.

Absent moisture and nutrients any remaining are unlikely to germinate.


 o
RE: Mold removal

Is this just concrete walls and floor? If so you might be able to do as brickeyee suggests and sleep soundly at night. How big of a pile of sawdust was this?What concerns me is that if a pile of sawdust got moldy, rather than drying out,promptly, you have too much moisture in your basement and will have continuing mold problems. This could be dangerous for your house and you. Get an inexpensive thermometer/hygrometer that registers max/min and monitor the situation. You should be below 50% relative humidity all the time. If is is drier than that most of the time, then short excursions above that are O.K.

Bleach does not "remove" or clean any more than plain water does. (It does not have detergent or soap properties.) It is registered to kill fungi. "Mold" is an imprecise term, but sodium hypochlorite bleach used on a clean, nonporous surface at the correct concentrations should kill mold. Concrete would not be considered a nonporous surface. I would also be cautious about the chemical effects of hypochlorites on concrete. Come to think about it, it is safe for pools. OTOH, I guess they are coated.


 o
RE: Mold removal

"chemical effects of hypochlorites on concrete"

None of any significance.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here