Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holes in Ceiling

Posted by hjva (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 3, 10 at 9:51

I came home to find sheetrock on the floor in my laundry room. I looked up to see a ragged hole (about an inch and and a half wide) in the sheetrock. This is the second time it has happened in the past year. Both holes are in my laundry room ceiling. After the first hole I used a ladder to look in the crawl space above the ceiling and didn't see any wet sheetrock or evidence of a leak. Any other ideas of what could cause this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holes in Ceiling

Very strange. Is there debris from the holes on the floor below? I would look closely with a flashlight at the actual hole to see if there are any hairs attached to the ragged edges. I would suspect some kind of animal. What else could it be?
If you could get up into the area where the hole is see if there is any signs of the bugger.

o
RE: Holes in Ceiling

Squirrels are the most likely culprit. Red squirrels are notorious for invading houses in the fall for a cozy winter retreat, but gray squirrels and flying squirrels can also do this. I'd check carefully outside to see if there is an opening. All three species are more or less active throughout the winter and would most likely have a means of entering and exiting. Both species can and do chew through sheetrock. No squirrels in your area? Then likely mice or rats.

If you live in a squirrel deficient area, then

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here