Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Deck Protection

Posted by rollytan (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 8:56

We recently built a house that had a 12ft wide and 2 foot deep concrete detention area in the very back of our property that belonged to the HOA. This was an established neighborhood that had 'established' that the homeowner took care of it by cleaning etc. We decided to run 2x8 joists secured with anchor bolts to detention wing walls and then overlaid 5/4 deck boards (treated pine). It wasn't the kind of job you'd do on your backyard deck but it keeps the leaves out and the kids! One thing we did was make the center 6 feet removable by making panels that lay down and can be removed.
So enough details.. what is going to be the best method to protect the wood from warping, splintering etc considering its not our 'back yard deck' and we are not as concerned with asthetics. I want what will seal the deck the best, period. Also, how long can I expect this thing to last if I keep it sealed and repeat every couple years?

All the best.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Deck Protection

Generally speaking the more opaque the finish, the more protection it will provide and the longer it will last. A solid stain is better than a semi-transparent is better than a clear.

Properly cared for, I would imagine it would last 15+ years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here