Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fireplace

Posted by NYMIKE (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 8:37

I'm buying an older home (circa 1890) that has six coal fireplaces. I would like to convert them to woods. Any information from the smallest to completion would be appreciated. Where do I start, who does this type of work, do I need permits, fireplace inserts, chimney insulation, etc. Thank you for any help and suggestions. Mike P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fireplace

Coal boxes are too shallow for wood and extremely difficult to convert if you want to maintain it as a masonry unit. You need a fireplace expert, and a LOT of money. As in boatloads.

The least expensive way to do it would be to add a wood burning insert, but it will stick out from the fireplace, need the hearth enlarged, and will need the chimney lined with a modern metal flue. And that's the easiest and cheapest approach. Go to a local shop that sells fireplace inserts and accessories and talk to them for a while first, then if you are comfortable with the costs being thrown around, then set up an appointment to have them come out and assess the condition of them in person.

Most people end up converting only 1 or 2 major ones, and walling over the rest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here