Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roofing plywood

Posted by hrajotte (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 8:30

I need to re-shingle my shed roof, which will also entail replacing 3 rotting plywood sheets.
Is there a particular type of plywood used for roofing, or can I just use standard 4' x 8' panels? (Haven't measured the thickness yet, but looks like 5/8" or 3/4")
Is it acceptable (or desirable) to screw the plywood to the rafters (2x4's) instead of nailing it?
Should there be some type of underlayment before shingling? Currently, the shingles are mounted directly to the plywood, and they lasted 25 years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roofing plywood

CDX or OSB is exterior sheathing normally used. Match the thickness that was used originally (probably 1/2"), then minimum of 15# felt then the roof shingles.

o

1/8 in gap between sheets.

o

Yes, good point brick and thanks for picking me up!

o

Many thanks for your advice!

o

The thickness of the sheathing depends on the spacing of the rafters and you didn't tell us that so I would recommend at least 5/8" CDX plywood or Oriented Strand Board.

Asphalt saturated felt (building paper) underlayment once weighed 15 lb per 100 s.f. but it is now much lighter and therefore called No. 15. To match the original standard it is necessary to use No. 30 building paper.

The shingles may have lasted 25 years but obviously they did not protect the sheathing so the design was inadequate possibly because of a low slope. If you want the roofing and sheathing to last another 25 years install an underlayment of self-adhering Ice & Water Shield from Grace without substitution.

o

A little overkill in my mind for a shed, Reno.

o

Making a building last more than 25 years is not overkill to me.

o

"Making a building last more than 25 years is not overkill to me."

Depends on how large it s.

Not everything needs to have a long life.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here