Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salt to melt ice on paver driveway?

Posted by ricovalium (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 4, 08 at 8:20

Part of my driveway is Unilock paving stones (grey antarra style). Where the sun hits for long periods, everything melts well. Where it doesn't, ice seems to permanently reside.

I'd like to use salt or equivalent to help the process along, but I don't want to eat away at the pavers (they are unsealed).

Any experience? (I live in NH if that matters)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salt to melt ice on paver driveway?

Are you planning to grow anything along the driveway? Repeated applications of salt will generally have a harmful effect on the ability of plants to grow there. Ancient armies used to sow salt into the fields of their enemies to make them incapable of growing crops...

o

Kudzu, he's asking if the salt will impact his stones - it does erode cement, for instance.

o

Thanks, Lucy. I am indeed thinking of how it will impact the pavers.

That being said, there are plants and grass all along so the IDEAL solution would clear the ice, not pit the pavers, and not kill the living things ;)

o

You could use sand for the slipperiness. This wouldn't affect either the pavers or your landscaping, assuming that you didn't let too much accumulate.

-Roger

o

Salt eats concrete--that's just the way it is. But with pavers you can replace just those portions that get worn out. Personally I'd do it, but just not so liberally as to create too many problems. It probably won't break them to bits in 3 years--more like 15-20.

o

Thanks, all.

rogerv, rest of the driveway is dirt (for now), so given the winter we've had, pavers (and garage) are almost beaches now! Issue is that the ice builds up pretty thickly and makes snow removal a challenge.

heimert, I agree. I'm going to research some "friendlier" ones and then try it out.

o

I saw an ad for a liquid you can spray BEFORE so that snow doesn't stick, ice doesn't form--something like that. I never ordered but saved the ad.

Cant find it now but if you google "liquid ice melt" you will come across many options. I just did and lots came up. The one I saw used a sprayer, which you could order, but I'd use the regular plastic sprayer I use in summer.

Sounded good because this wouldn't burn grass and wouldn't get tracked back in on shoes or dogs paws. Hope this helps. Sandy

o

breenthumb--you can do the same thing with rock salt. It's called pre-treating, and it's what the road crews do before storms in cities where there's snow. What you're doing is creating a thin layer of "brine" (salty water) that sits between the snow and the ground. It's easy to shovel and you're left with a much cleaner/drier driveway.

Problem is, ice usually forms after teh snow has started to melt, sometimes dribbling onto the driveway. Which means the real solution is simply to remove snow as quickly as possible and then prevent any melted snow from refreezing--but that's difficult to do.

o

Well I'll be! Pretty expensive stuff. Glad I never got any. Thanks, Sandy

o

Why use road salt? Any type I have used always seems to leave that white salt tracings after the salt melts the ice / snow and the resultant water evaporates.

We have had a lot of success with non-salt ice melter products...Polar brand comes to mind, the one with the Polar bear on the packaging. It is not salt, so no white salt tracings and has never harms any of our interlocking brick and has never killed grass that has been on the lawn next to the interlocking brick patio or driveway.

Or, am I missing something (and if so I apologize).
Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here