Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
woodr repair - filling hinge mortices

Posted by homebound (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 8:06

Pros:

I'm looking for some repair suggestions for filling/removing several hinge mortices. This is for regular closet doors that are being converted to bi-folds. We don't want to replace the jambs. Any suggestions?

I am considering Minwax high perfomance wood filler, but trying to draw that with a 6" blade around an outside corner (the reveal, as it turns toward the casing) is a bit of a pain. Any thoughts? Maybe a stiffer product would be a better option. Thanks much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: woodr repair - filling hinge mortices

If you are going to paint the repair, use drywall mud. It is shapeable and easily sanded. You will need to allow extra drying time if the repair thickness is more than 1/4"---and you may need to sand and add more after the first application.

Just primer over the patches and then primer the entire piece.

o

Go to a hobby store and get some thin modeling wood.
Basswood should be adequate.

Hinge mortises are normally about 1/8 inch deep, so get 3/32 wood.

Remove any paint in the mortise and then use a wood glue to fasten pieces of the thin wood in the mortise.

Use Minwax filler to even it all out.

Under a coat of paint the repair should be invisible.

Drywall compound runs a significant chance of showing hairline cracks as the trim changes size over the year.

o

I have seen several DIY shows that recommend using Bondo. Yep the stuff used for cars, to repair wood window frames and sills. Just passing this along, as I have not tried it.

Maid

o

For the filling, obviously a slip of wood is the craftier solution.
If using bondo (or the minwax stuff) I like to work the patch with an overlay of wax paper, which allows one to get a smooth fill without pulling at the edges. You peel off the wax paper as soon as the bondo begins to set; you want to use the cheese grater/Surform tool to level the patch before the bondo gets ultimately hard, which it will do within in an hour. After which time you will have to use a wood sanding block to level it.
Casey; Bondo's in my veins.

o

I have repaired numerous widow sashes and door casings with Minwax.

You can easily shape it with sharp wood chisels and carving chisels before is sets up completely, then go back and clean it up again with chisels and sandpaper once it is fully set.

Bondo is harder once it sets and a little tougher to sand out.

o

Thanks much for all the suggestions.

o

"Bondo is harder once it sets and a little tougher to sand out."

That is a very kind statement indeed

o

I agree with sombreuil_mongrel. Moreover I agree with your ideas. Thanks for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here