Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nathanpershner

heat reflective paint

nathanpershner
14 years ago

We have a conservatory with a perspex roof that is incredibly hot in the summer (off the scale on the thermometer). We are fitting black out blinds to keep the sun out during the day and have discovered that there are Solar Reflective/glass shading Paints available on the market which they claim are suitable for our roof to reduce the glare and heat.

Comments (6)

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

I dont know about glare reduction as most coatings are a bright white, but aid in cooling. Elasomeric coatings remain flexible to temperature changes. Up here in the mojave desert, flat roofs are typically foamed with a elasomeric sealer over that in a bright white to keep the underside cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: kool seal

• macv
    14 years ago

Light colors will reflect the visible spectrum of light energy but to reduce gain from the IR spectrum you need something with a low emissivity surface like polished aluminum or the films used between double pane glass.

I believe there are paints or coatings that are claimed to have low emissivity properties but I don't know to what degree they are effective or even if they are legitimate products. I find there are a lot of misconceptions and self-serving nonsense associated with infrared energy in building design so I recommend skepticism.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Aluminum paint (it contains powdered aluminum) has been used to decrease emissivity for a long time.

It's main weakness is that sunlight (and UV) tend to degrade the binder holding the aluminum down.

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

Back in '95, I rolled out some elasomeric on the roof of my shop # 1 to help in the longevity of the roofing, # 2 to keep the inside cooler in the summer. It has accomplished both quite well so far. Is it considerably cooler and by how many dgrees? I dont have scientific data for you, only to tell you that in my real world application. it worked for my shop/ roof.

• macv
    14 years ago

Here is some information.

Here is a link that might be useful: chart

• gardurnit
    14 years ago

NREL is 'the place' where high tech products are studied
    and given a quality rating.

A company now makes a quality product - see here:

http://www.reflectechsolar.com/

And if I'm mistaken due to short time what I want you to
    find is a product either they or another company makes
    which is a HQ reflective material that can take a pounding
    for 10 years but is made not as a sheet but as a 1/2"
    thick kind of woven material. You lay it on the surface
    you want to protect and it reflects away heat and doesn't
    get hot, itself, as its area allows air to remove any
    absorbed heat.

I'm confused about the way you describe your situation.

If you block sun (1) before its inside then
    you're done with the job. Any covering will do.

If it were me I'd put up cardboard for the summer and save up during Winter for my next Summer need of cardboard.

(1) sun is about 100 watts of heat / sq ft. or 1000 watts / st meter or yard (1 sq yard = 9 sq ft)

Please follow through on how you finish this and post
    photos to a hosting site where we can have a look.

one site is simple and free at

http://www.bild.me/

Here is a link that might be useful: photo hosting - give us the last URL on the list

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH