Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Bare Wall Primer

Posted by thompsdw (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 6, 06 at 6:20

Well, I have finished all the drywall mudding on my rather large (for me) home addition. Time to paint. I have had bad luck with some primers lately (not covering). I am going to use an airless sprayer to apply the primer (and finish coat) in my addition.

What is a good inexpensive bare wall primer that offers one coat coverage?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Bare Wall Primer

Now that you're ready for one of the MOST important steps of the addition, the finished appearance, I would suggest a high-build primer, tinted close in color to the finish coats.

The spray instructions are in the tech bulletin below.

Follow with two finish coats of the highest quality paint you can afford. A finish coat will look much better and give more even coverage if it's rolled or sprayed and then backrolled.

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: Primer

o

Go to you local Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore store. They will have products to give you a great result.

o

Are you looking for a primer to apply to the finished/non-textured drywall, then you are going to texture and paint? Or are you looking for a primer to go under the paint? Or are you not going to texture and need a primer?
If you haven't textured yet, or aren't going to then Kilz 2 (latex version) worked fine for me. I've read that if you thin it down it will soak into the drywall better. I didn't do that and it worked fine. You really don't need complete coverage in this case, just something to seal up the drywall and for the paint to better stick to. If the walls are textured I don't really see a need to prime if you are using a quality one coat paint like Behr unless you are painting a dark color like red or blue in which case it will require less coats if you prime. If that is the case the paint counter will be able to recommend the color of the primer that will work best for the color you are painting. You would be surprised at how that works. In my case I painted my kitchen red and a grey tinted primer was recommended and in areas where i didn't prime it probably took 2 or 3 coats more than the primed areas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here