Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank1203

Paint for Concrete

frank1203
12 years ago

Hello, I have a concrete landing on my front portico along with three steps. The portico is about 7 feet long by about 5 deep. The concrete has gotten stained over the years from various things (weather; plants; rust, etc.). I tried a few solvents to get rid of the stains and the latest one I tried basically "bleached" out the stains and now I have blotches and spots all over. I think my next step is to find some type of concrete paint to cover up this mess. Do they make such a thing? Will it last? What color is it? I want it to look like normal concrete and not stand out. Any suggestions would be greatly helpful. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• User
    12 years ago

There are epoxy paints made for concrete.

Most are glossy, which becomes slick when wet. There are additives to ad to the paint to make the surface rough to minimize slipping.

• frank1203
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. Can you refer me to any good brands? Also, I'm most concerned about color as it needs to match the rest of the concrete walkway. Are there different colors or one standard "concrete" color? What other preparation is required?

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Any of the box store or hardware store available "concrete paints" will lose adhesion and peel much much quicker than an epoxy paint will. They aren't worth your time or money. As handymac says, a two part industrial epoxy is what you need. They are available from a local real paint store and won't be cheap. The minimum purchase quantity of such a product might provide enough to cover the walkway as well as the porch. You will not get a "natural" concrete look as natural concrete has variation in it's color. You can get a uniform gray though.

Preparing the surface will include cleaning it and etching it with acid in order to open the pores and create a tooth for the paint to adhere. It is DIYable if you are careful and wear proper PPE and use common sense safety practices when handling the acid.

• housefairy
    12 years ago

There is a color stain that is applied to stamped concrete. You can apply with a sprayer and/or brush. The brand used here is called Smith's Color Floor. There are four colors used on my patio. Since it soaks in it doesn't flake. It does do a variation of color pigment. The circular area is also a stamp. So you would get a different coloration on plain brushed concrete. Find a concrete supply store and talk to them. Even if you don't use the stain they would be the experts in helping you achieve your goal.

{{!gwi}}

Here you can see the color variation. The intensity of the color is achieved by how much you apply and how much you thin.
    {{!gwi}}

• housefairy
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention that it does come in a gray if you are wanting the color to blend. If you go to Smithpaints.com there are color charts and pictures. There is also sealers that are not slick.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    12 years ago

I used a Sherwin Williams concrete paint on a pool deck in blazing South Florida sun and it held up beautifully for years. I could tell you how many but we moved- I witnessed at least nine.

• terry1022
    12 years ago

My recommendation is call a pro. Have them coat the concrete with a coating. usually it is a 2 or 3 step process but you can choose colors, grit etc. your concrete will look beautifully brand new and you will not have to worry about peeling, maintenance or it being slick again. I am a building restoration contractor and ive been applying these coatings for years. this is more like a rubber membrane when finished that is embedded into the surface of the existing concrete. my advice is stay away from paints.

• Jumpilotmdm
    12 years ago

Use a good porch & deck enamel [acrylic/water based], prep it right and use 3 coats. Follow the label directions as close as you can and it should last a good long time.

• ThornhillLouis
    12 years ago

Painting won't reduce moisture. A dehumidifier will. If you do paint, use concrete paint, as it is formulated to let water vapor through. I always paint the floor as it keeps the dust down.

• DanEdwards
    11 years ago

I painted my concrete. Worked fine. I primered it first. That would be a good idea so you then apply the paint to a more suitable surface that it will adhere to better.