Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
roofing

Posted by rloo (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 4, 11 at 1:56

I think - no I am sure I have been ripped off by my roofer. I had a lot of dry rot and 30 sheet of plywood had to be replaced. He charged me for 30 hours of labor to do it. He said it takes about an hour to replace a 4 by 8 sheet - that seems like way too much time on a simple moderately sloped roof

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: roofing

Maybe not the fastest however all that material has be brought up onto the roof and the old stuff ripped up and carted away. 30 hours is ~3 man days. A 3 man crew doing that in a day doesn't really sound too bad to me.

One guy doing it himself in 3 days sounds ok, too.

Just my 0.02.

o

"He said it takes about an hour to replace a 4 by 8 sheet - that seems like way too much time on a simple moderately sloped roof"

Sounds about right.

You have to remove the old deck, clean up any old fasteners that will be in the way of the new sheet in the rafters, buy the sheets, deliver the sheets, get them on the roof, remove the debris form the roof, load the debris, dispose of the debris, fasten the new sheet (and maybe trim it some to fit).

o

that is a serious repair and his labor charge sounds about right

o

I agree - unless a crane dropped all 30 sheets, and the shingles off on the roof, and then held the dumpster right at the lip so cleanup was a breeze?

seriously - you get one sheet of plywood, one roll of paper, and three packs of shingles up that roof your own self, and see how long it takes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here