Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proper way to shut off water supply?

Posted by bobb_2010 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 31, 10 at 1:48

At plumbing repair time I shut off the whole-house water. The system is drained to enable repairs. After repair is completed the main water is turn back on. However now the system have "bubbles" and turning on the faucets immediately after such repairs make the water come out with annoying and loud "spits."

How to avoid this?

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proper way to shut off water supply?

You can't. The air needs to come out of the pipes. You can lessen the effect by turning on the water very slowly after the repair to let the air out.

o

Thats correct, open the main just sufficiently to hear the flow.
Open all of the fausets in the house until you can no longer hear air flow.
Turn the faucets off, open the main.

Don't let these inanimate objects get the better of you.

o

Remove any filters and let the water flow full strength to clear any repair debris from the lines.

o

The best way as told to me by a plumbing inspector friend is to open all the faucets in the house with the main OFF.
Then S-L-O-W-L-Y open the main and let the water flow till no more air.

Then starting at the faucets closest to the main, start closing them-this will get all the air to the end of the line, and out of the pipes.

The reason for the slow opening of the main is to keep any calcium built up in the pipes from dislodging and becoming lodged in the sink and toilet shutoff valves, and the faucet valves.

I've been doing this for years, never had a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here