Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilmbg

Cleaning gutters

ilmbg
10 years ago

How can we decide about the cost of cleaning gutters?
Condominium complex.
2 1/2 story buildings with fairly simple roofline-no hips, or dormer windows.
Downspouts present
Each upbuilding is about 40' wide by 200' long
4/12
San Antonio Tx
The contractor must carry 1M insurance
The contractor will probably get a guy off the street or have an illegal working for him. That seems to be the norm down here...
What is a fair price? There are 12 buildings.
Thx

Comments (6)

• randy427
    10 years ago

Get bids from at least three contractors and specify properly documented workers (otherwise, your liability problems soar if there is an accident and/or claim)

• klem1
    10 years ago

Randy,I am keenly intrested in hearing why liability problems soar if accidents and/or claims involve undocumented workers. If the customer ( in this case,ilmbg's HOA) has been furnished 1mil liability and proof of worker's comp,what additional pirils do undocumented workers present?
    Please understand,I only ask because if this is an issue,consumers need to be informed. If not it only adds an unnessary layer to the burden in hireing contractors.
    ilmbg,I agree with the reccomendations about putting the job out for bids. I also incourage you to insist on liability coverage as well as proof of worker's comp.
    Considering the size of your community and the possibility your board is lacking in expertise in facilities maintainance,youall may want to consider recruiting another board member or two with experience in the field. If that is not an option,I suggest you consider building a relationship with a GC to sub for you. Either one might be time/money well spent.

• ilmbg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Klem1
    I did not realize undocumented workers would be a problem for us...
    I would think that would fall on the contractor-it is the contractor we hire, not the individual worker...? As for hiring a gc, that is not possible. Our past mgr managed to steal approx 1m from the community. The previous Board either was so minimally involved or VERY involved with the prior mgr, (ahemm...) ,the owners apathetic. Very minimal funds. It is just unbelievable to myself how owners of the complex do not want to be involved, watch the money, yet B*^@h when something is not done to their liking. Getting involvement is like pulling teeth from a shark without anesthesia!
    Thanks for any ideas on keeping costs lower/good job.

• klem1
    10 years ago

"Klem1
    I did not realize undocumented workers would be a problem for us...
    I would think that would fall on the contractor-it is the contractor we hire, not the individual worker...? "

That is my understanding as well but when randy427 tossed information to the contrary on the table I thought it best to see what he is talking about. Maybe we are about to hear about something new. Frankly I believe one risks haveing Eric Holder file suit by flirting with stipulations randy427 advocated. I say this in light of the supreme refusing to hear the Farmer's Branch Tx apeal this past Monday. I hate chasing rabbits but I also believe once someone says they see a snake we should alow them to show it to us or decide if they simply made it up.
    ilmbg,when you speak of owners,I get the feeling many units might not be owner occupied. What % if any are rentals? Definatly requires a different approace to getting funds,depending on status of residents. Have you approached the landscape contractor about bidding the gutters?

• ilmbg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Klem1 I agree about giving them a chance to prove what they say is true...or that they are lying!
    Yes, we have about 50% rentals of 200 units. Very bad. Cannot stop selling to landlords because would have to have 100% vote of owner agreement to make resolution- obviously not going to happen...
    Yes, getting landscape bid is good idea. Did not realize they did that type of work.
    Thanks all!

• klem1
    10 years ago

"Yes, getting landscape bid is good idea. Did not realize they did that type of work."

Nanny is knocking at the door but for now Texans will adapt in order to earn a living. The landscaper will be happy to get the job at this slow time of year.

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz