Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost of sill replacement

Posted by smw268 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 0:47

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of buying a new house and encountered a significant amount of termite damage to a few floor joists and a sill plate. the inspector said that the common way for the sill to be replaced is for the house to be jacked up. Does anyone have any sort of idea how much this can cost. I'm trying to look for contractors at the moment, but wanted to see if anyone had a guesstimate to figure out what I could be dealing with here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost of sill replacement

Costs are regionally driven, house type driven, extent of damage driven, specfic locale condition driven.
Where? What construction house?, Basement? Finished Basement? Etc...
I replaced around 22 ft of 4x6 sill in a brick house with a basement. Along with some joist work, stud work and second floor rim joist work. Job ran $4500.00 on LI, NY about 10 years ago.
Consulted on a job in Muttontown, NY where a very extensive structural job ran around $15,000 in 1999. This was a one story ranch in a very expensive area.
Ron

o
RE: Cost of sill replacement

Job is on LI as well. It's a two story cape with a half finished basement. I'm trying to get contractors of my own in at this point to assess the damage, but seller's gotten quotes for $2000. We only have seen one area of damage of approximately 8 feet of the sill in the unfinished area, but are having a trusted termite inspector come in to look at some of the areas in the finished basement (taking down cieling panels and such)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here